FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS 1. Who are we?
We are passionate amateur windsurfers and kitesurfers who want to share our love for our sports. Living in Mauritius, one of the most beautiful spots worldwide, we were seduced by the idea of creating the first ever championship, whereby international teams of amateur and professional windsurfers would compete against each other and discover the best places around the island.
The Mauritius Attitude Freeride Challenge, whose first edition was in 2013, was hugely successful and won the hearts of many international surfers thanks to amazing freeride spots and favorable surfing conditions without forgetting the famous Mauritian hospitality. 2. What is a freeride race?
Freeride is the most popular kitesurfing and windsurfing style. Freeride windsurfers and kitesurfers enjoy soul riding full speed & long distance crossing.
If you find yourself enjoying cruising downwind full speed exploring new spots while racing next to your friends, freeriding might just be your style. 3. What are the requirements of the race?
4. What equipment is required to participate in the race?
- Kiters & windsurfers able to go upwind can participate in the race
- Minimum age: 13 years old - waterstart level
- MYA license required (included in inscription fee, but we need 2 passport photos and a doctor’s clearance)
- Personal insurance cover
5. How much? Where to pay for inscription?
- 2 sails/2 boards are the maximum you are allowed to use during the event.
- Wind are mostly light to medium, from 12 to 30 knots.
- Most common equipment used is 80cm + 70cm boards with 8,6m + 7,8m sails
For the Freeride Challenge, the fee is 100€ for the 4 racing days.
6. Where can I get additional info on the competition and the different packages?
- your event Lycra + souvenir T-shirt + some surprise goodies
- Security during all the race days
- Special deals from Air Mauritius & Attitude Hotels
You can contact us via the website or on the Facebook page of the event: https://www.facebook.com/MauritiusFreeride 7. What is the Race days?
The event is held on 8 waiting days in order to choose the best possible conditions of wind and weather. Out of this 8 days, only 4 days will be racing. 8. Who are our partners?
9.Ranking: how does it work?
- First = 0.7 pts.
- Second & more = place (2nd = 2 points...)
- Did Not Finish (DNF) = Number of participants + 1
- Did Not Start (DNS) = Number of participants + 2 (is usually + 1)
- Disqualified (DSQ) = Number of participant + 10 (usually + 2)
10. Where can I view the results?
- Four first riders for each nation/team per race
- Overall team rankings: top 4 individuals
The results are available on the website: www.mauritiuschallenge.com/results